Saturday, July 14, 2012

Canning Some Figs

This past 4th of July, we all headed out to my parents house in the hill country for some fun and sun at the river. While we were there a family friend stopped by to say hi and brought us some figs from their fig tree. My grandmother makes some really yummy strawberry fig jam and my husband happens to LOVE it so there was no question at all about what we should do with these fresh-off-the-tree figs. 
I've never made jam before so I was a little unsure about the whole process. It. was. easy! I followed the directions right off of pick-your-own.org's website. 
 I decided to do 3 cups figs and 3 cups strawberries and reduced the sugar to 1-1/4 cups. Not only did it turn out great, it is diet friendly. On our weight watchers diet that my husband and I have been doing for 12 (I really can't remember now!) weeks now it is only 1 point for 3 tablespoons. Yum!
My mom canned some figs too and wanted to pretty up the jars so she came to me! I'm the crafty one in the family so I pulled out some supplies and we had a good time coming up with some simple labels and embellishments for the jars.
The little jar in the front is some balsamic fig jam, made by my mom.


Now our jars look so pretty in the pantry- but even better, if we need a quick little gift for someone, they are all ready to go!





4 comments:

  1. These look so cute I am ready to jam real soon this year apricot and strawberry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never tried it. seems pretty easy and they are decorated SO cute. great gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have ALWAYS wanted to try and make jam . . . and yours turned out SO cute! I'm embarrassed to admit I have never had a fig. :0

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI! I just found your blog and I LOVE it! So fun reading through some of your older posts. My daughters and I make freezer strawberry jam every year and it is so fun!

    ReplyDelete