Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Knitting for baby


 I really can't believe I'm down to the final weeks before our sweet little baby will be here. 
We will be a family of 8! Yikes!
About 3.5 years ago I learned to knit and since then I've knitted a blanket and hat for our little ones.
This time I added booties!
Socks and baby booties are something I've wanted to learn for a while now but just didn't have the skills until recently. Learning to make socks has been on my list for the past 2 years and finally this past summer I took a class and learned!
So let me tell you about these little baby booties.
You don't need to be a skilled knitter to make them! They are beginner level and only took me about 45 minutes from start to finish. That included casting on all the way to weaving in the final ends. I like projects like that!
After knitting the blanket and hat I had a tiny bit of the grey and blue yarn leftover so I started searching the internet for patterns. I decided to do blue "soles" because I wasn't sure if the grey would go far enough and didn't want to run out in the middle on this little project.
These as so easy to make! 
All you do is cast on 26 and knit every row for 10 rows. 
Bind off 10 and knit to the end of the row.
Bind off 10 more.
Now you are left with 6 stitches on your needles.
Knit these 6 stitches for 21 rows and bind off. 
(these 6 stitches for 21 rows is where I changed to blue)
You will have sort of a T shape piece at this point.
Fold in the left and right sides of T and sew at the toe and along the sides. 
chaussons_pruline_tricot
via
And that's it! Seriously simple and easy!
I used size 8 needles and worsted weigh yarn.
And here is another link where I found the directions I followed.
http://www.smallfriendly.com/small-friendly/2013/05/knit-bitty-baby-booties.html


 Now let's talk about this sweet little baby hat!
It is another REEEEEAAAAALLLLLY easy hat to knit and can be done in a short amount of time. 
I think this one only took me about an hour to make. Gotta love that!
I first made this hat 2  years ago from another internet search looking for a simple newborn hat to make our baby. I wish I had a link to give credit to where I found it but it was before I was using Pinterest and after printing directions and closing the browser, that was the end of that. 
With that said- if this is your pattern, let me know! I'd love to give you credit. :)

This pattern works well using a bulky weight yarn or doubling up worsted weight, which is what I did.
I used size 13 needles using the magic loop method but you can also use double pointed or circular as well.

Cast on 24
Knit 2, Purl 2 ribbing for 5"
Decrease as follows:
Row 1: k2tog, p2 around
Row 2: k1, p2 around
Row 3: k1, p2tog around
Row 4: k1, p1 around
Row 5: p2tog around
Row 6: purl around

Cut yarn, pull end through remaining 6 stitches and weave in ends.

So easy to make and the perfect fit for a newborn baby. I've found most hat patterns claiming to fit newborns/0-3 month old's are too big. This one is perfect!

And as for the blanket? 
It came from the 8 hour baby blanket book. It's copyright so I can't share but it is the thin stripe pattern. I love that book and it has been my go-to baby blanket book from the beginning!

Now that the blanket, hat and booties are finished all we are missing is the baby!
Can't wait!




1 comment:

  1. So precious! I hope you share pictures of sweet baby in those adorable knitted goodies!

    I have never attempted a hat- but would love to try!

    Hope you're feeling well!!

    ReplyDelete