Wednesday, May 2, 2012

BAM!

 That's right! Our garden is already in full bloom! It is one of the beautiful things about living in the South, you can plant your garden a lot earlier than other parts of the country.
Sure, come mid-summer, it is hard to grow much of anything.... but late August/early September it is fair game once again.
This is only our second year to plant a garden. Last year didn't go so well. We realized our soil was bad so this year before planting lots and lots of compost was mixed in. Look at those beautiful flowers on that squash plant. In a short time, they will turn into yummy yellow squash.
Our squash last fall did do very well. That is why we replanted them this year. To cook them, I sliced them length-wise into thin strips, sprayed them with olive oil spray and grilled them. They tasted like they were cooked in butter, yet they were not. YUM!

Last year I made these cute little plant markers for our garden. I love how they turned out. The hot Texas sun mostly faded the sharpie writing off so it was easy to reuse them this year for new veggies. The garden is so big now they are completely hidden but they did come in handy when it was just a dirt bed full of seeds. If anyone is interested in them just contact me through my shop.

Can't wait to cook up this beautiful winter squash.....
and for this tomato to turn red. There is nothing tastier than a homegrown tomato. They beat the supermarket tomatoes any day.
I pulled these carrots just the other day, washed the dirt off of them and next thing I know, my kiddos ate them all up. Yes, all of them! I had one and it was good! They looked so cute walking around with carrots that still had the green on the top. I wish I had a picture but I don't.
And lastly, I'll leave you with these beautiful veggies waiting in our fridge for us to eat. Maybe tonight!

I'm linking up to Alicia's Happy Day Challenge. Check it out, every Wednesday she has a new Happy thingy for us to do. This was last weeks to link today, and this weeks is to wear red lipstick. Hmmmm.... no promises there. If I do wear the red, I will need a red gloss. My lips are WAY too chapped for most lipsticks. I'm more of a chapstick kind of girl, sigh. 



giveaways

2 comments:

  1. What a great post, and super adorable little garden markers! Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! look how BIG your stuff is already!! amazing. you're going to have veggies coming out your ears. then you can plan a fall garden :)

    ReplyDelete